The ASPB 2023 Women's Young Investigator Travel Award Recepients (WYITA)
ASPB 2023 Women's Young Investigator Travel Award (WYITA)
ASPB is now accepting applications via electronic submission for the Women’s Young Investigator Travel Awards to attend Plant Biology 2023, which is scheduled to be held this year in Savannah, GA from August 5-9, 2023 and online. The goal of the program is to increase attendance of early-career female investigators who are within the first five years of their appointment in academic faculty-level positions, government research positions, or corporate research scientist positions, as well as experienced postdocs. Awardees must hold positions at an academic, corporate, or government institution. The Society plans to allot $7,000 to be awarded in increments of $1,000 for this program. (ASPB reserves the right to adjust these parameters for awardees who do not travel to Savannah and instead participate in Plant Biology 2023 virtually.)
ELIGIBILTY: (Eligible women must meet these criteria)
- ·Must be members of ASPB. (Applicants may reside outside the U.S.)
- Must currently be in one of the following categories:
- Academic faculty member (within first 5 years of appointment)
- Government researcher (within first 5 years of appointment)
- Corporate researcher (within first 5 years of appointment)
- Experienced post-doctoral researcher with at least three consecutive years of research in their field (seeking to obtain an independent position)
SUBMISSION: (omission of one of these components will make your submission ineligible)
Applicants must submit:
- an abstract of research to be presented at the meeting
- a one page personal statement that:
- explains why the applicant’s travel should be supported by ASPB and what outcomes are anticipated from attendance
- delineates professional obligations in current role
- defines alternate or complementary potential sources of travel funds
- a two page curriculum vitae
Selection criteria will be based on the science and the quality of the abstract relative to the amount of time as a young investigator, and on financial need. Applications and supporting materials must be submitted electronically by Friday, January 11, 2023 (11:59 p.m. ET). Applicants who are selected to receive a travel award will be notified by email by February 17, 2023.
- All WYITA recipients will receive the early-bird registration rate.
- Award checks will not be issued until the awardee has registered for the ASPB annual meeting.
- Should unforeseen events prevent an awardee from attending the meeting, the awardee must notify Sylvia Lee immediately and return the award so that a waitlisted applicant can use the award to attend the meeting.
Awardees are encouraged to register and secure housing for Plant Biology 2023 well in advance of the early-bird deadline.